Monday, February 7, 2011

Awaiting Spring by Wanda Garner

I raced with anticipation to find it...
Like an old friend, dearly missed,
To hold it once more in my hand.
The urge I could hardly resist.

I sighed with relief with I saw it
Still standing where it had been left,
Propped up in the corner of the cabin.
My excitement had not been bereft.

In a rush I placed a hook
Upon the line once more.
And headed to the dock,
Where my bait, I watched it soar.

It hit the water with a plop
And I let it sink down low.
Then I began to reel it in
So gently... so ever slow.

The sun was shining really bright,
The wind it slightly blew.
The water was fairly calm
With just a slight green hue.

Though not a fish one took my bait,
It sure felt mighty good
To get that rod and reel back out
Just like I knew it would.

Springtime is 'round the corner,
Warmer weather 'round the bend.
It's been a real long winter,
And I'm anxious for it to end.

To spend my days on the river,
Knee-deep in swirling water
Will raise my spirits, bring me a smile,
And my heart to go aflutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment